Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ruby and RVM

  So I've been having trouble installing RVM and having it work correctly. Yesterday, a coworker of mine shared some insight as to why I've been having issues. I would install it as root or using sudo which would give me the binaries in my /usr/local/bin directory. The problem with that is I could install all the rubies I want but couldn't use them. It would say it's using them, but it's a lie. ruby -v would give me nothing.
  He pointed out that I might try installing RVM as a regular user and sudo ln -s the binaries into the /usr/local/bin directory. It works! I install it like that and run the rest of the steps from http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/rvm/install/ and viola, it verks :) RVM is awesome. I hope you find it as enjoiable as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment